Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bridal Show Debacle

For the heck of it, we attended the bridal show at the Qwest Center in Omaha on Sunday.

We were appalled, and I mean appalled, at the way other companies pawn off their photography services. In some cases, it was really like being at a used car lot.

I never, ever give people the hard sell. I don't manipulate my packages using questionable numbers, or press for short-term sales as a substitute for developing actual relationships with the people who trust me to make pictures for them. That trust is hard to gain, and once it's gone...it's gone.

At the show, it felt like the photographers and their helpers were simply pushing products (a la As-Seen-On-TV sales pitches), not sharing a creative vision.

I view each event as a potential art project. I don't view myself as just the guy with the camera who drops by to take some pictures.

Crassly commercialized photography for once-in-a-lifetime event? Yuck.

Artful visions? Perceptive images of vital, fleeting moments? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment